Phenergan Tablets contain a medicine called promethazine hydrochloride. This belongs to a group of medicines called phenothiazines. It works by blocking a natural substance (histamine) that your body makes during an allergic reaction. It also works directly on the brain to help you feel more relaxed.
Phenergan Tablets can be given to you either by a doctor or directly by a pharmacist depending on the condition you are being treated for.
Phenergan Tablets may be provided directly by a pharmacist for use in the following situations:
- To treat allergic conditions such as hay fever or rashes (like nettle rash or hives)
- To treat adults with difficulty sleeping (insomnia)
- To treat or stop you feeling sick (nausea) or being sick (vomiting) such as travel sickness Phenergan Tablets may also be given to you by a doctor. This can be for use in any of the above situations or for use in the following additional situations:
- To help you feel more relaxed before an operation
- If you are having difficulty sleeping
- As a sedative for both adults and children. This is a medicine given to reduce awareness or make you feel relaxed and at ease.